Bowman

 

Q: How do you cut mini pizzas?
A: With Little Ceasers 


I met Christopher, King of Puns, in the middle of my sophomore year of high school. 
My dad filled the open pulpit at a church on the southside of town that also happened to have an established K-9 Christian school.

That's right. The school went up to 9th grade and I was already mid-stream through 10th. 

Christopher was a freshman and his mom, Sandra, taught in the school. I had her for the subjects I was able to take alongside the freshmen, namely Geometry & French. She would go on to be my supervisor, mentor and dear friend.  

My atypical schedule afforded me the opportunity to help Mrs. Bowman with her reading resource classes and eventually, after school at her private tutoring business. A lot of my approach to education and enrichment is a direct reflection of the time I spent under her wing. 

These days, she watches on from that great cloud of witnesses beyond our skies. 
Meanwhile, down here, we're pressing on in ways that would make her smile. 

2021- @ Fisher’s Graduation

Some days, it looks like choosing to try. 

Other days are easier, involving puns, pool parties, and birthday cake. 

This weekend - not to brag, but also kinda to brag a little - I had the honor of attending a birthday party for Heather, one of mine and Christopher's mutual friends.  I got to spend a few hours with Bowman, and also his motley crew of friends.

I still really don't know how to talk about these moments, or even if I should. The last thing I'd want to do is patronize. 

But my writing tends to splash out when my heart overflows and this weekend's party is still spilling over the brim and into my saucer. 

To be invited into the midst of vulnerable people and the family and friends who answer the call of caretaking - to be considered a friend - is profoundly beautiful to me.  To be surrounded by souls that shine - in their guilelessness, determination, nurture and kindness is, to me, to rub shoulders with nobility of the finest kind. 

It is cliche' to say that I had birthday cake with superheroes this weekend, but it is also absolutely true. Ordinary, everyday, exceptionally beautiful superheroes. 

Thank you for inviting me.  
It was so, so good to see you all. 
I'm still smiling...  I bet Sandra is, too. 

“Our lives are unique stones in the mosaic of human existence -- priceless and irreplaceable.”

“We may have only a few talents, but we have many gifts. Our gifts are the many ways in which we express our humanity. They are part of who we are: friendship, kindness, patience, joy, peace, forgiveness, gentleness, love, hope, trust and many others. These are the true gifts we have to offer to each other.” 

― Henri J.M. Nouwen, Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World
“Nobody escapes being wounded. We are all wounded people, whether physically, emotionally, mentally, or spiritually. The main question is not 'How can we hide our wounds?' so we don't have to be embarrassed but 'How can we put our roundedness in the service of others?' When our wounds cease to be a source of shame and become a source of healing, we have become wounded healers.”
― Henri Nouwen

Recent: