Hidden Things


 I've been hiding some things. 

I plan to keep hiding them, too. 

If you would like to see the things that I've been hiding, go here ] 

For a long time, my inner-child was sitting at the table in a stand-off with the cold spinach of unfinished projects.

Whether the projects turned out terribly or something changed in my motivation, I had a lot of elements I felt I had to "put to good use" before I was "allowed" to start something new. (Metaphor, much?) 

Perfectly good half-painted canvases in the top of my closet, abandoned when I was, waited for new direction.

Stacks of magazines and clipped collage words were in need of sorting and stringing together.

Dreggs of leftover paint in every hue waited to be shaken with enough vigor to reconstitute a rainbow.

:: Little by little, while she was looking away, I scooped forkfuls from her plate and sent her out to play::

I spent more than two weeks deciphering the archeology and anthropology of earlier forms of me, myself and my mediocre art. 

And then - I embraced the VC  *vomit copy, for the uninitiated* 

Stuck between an inability to put new ideas on old canvases and throwing perfectly good art supplies away,  I chose deus ex machina and turned the whole thing into a game. 

Using my mini thermal printer, I tagged the bad old art and slapped finishing touches on the incomplete stuff. Then I hid them all around town and called it scavenged art 

I made a few new pieces from the stock pile of spent supplies and took them with me out of town to hide. I sent other pieces in the mail to be hidden around the towns of my friends and family. I hid them in places that were meaningful to me. I hid some with Riley in a caper Downtown. 

She said she felt like a criminal...She said she felt like a criminal... 

It didn't matter whether the pieces were found since they had been as good as trash. 

But - on the day that the first person found art and connected with me? That was a fantastic day. 

Fantastic. 

And so, as it often goes, a string of new beginnings was affixed all along to the old kite I let fly.

I've been making new things to hide, to brighten other people's day and make my own more interactive.

I know I did not invent this wheel. Rather- in the same spirit of recent [permission slips granted to me by me to harmonize] I'm allowing myself to join the fun. 

Over the years, we've participated in various rock hiding and hunting groups. The kids and I took it a step further with all the traveling we used to do, hiding different objects and "kindness cards" tagged with our instagram account made just for hide & seek *since deactivated*

I was also influenced by local artist, [Jason Craig]whose art I found @Riverwalk when I first moved back to town. ( and which, I still have and still plan to help travel onward...)

 Not to mention our whole creative community, we who find a blank wall insufferable. [Mural Tour] 

Another inspiration I have long carried with me is the [ Treasure Hunt on Jekyll Island. ] 

Every year, Jekyll Island artists hide blown glass baubles around the island for residents and visitors to find. When Rye and I visited again recently for a [ field trip ] we hid one of my favorite pieces of scavenged art at a place where good memories linger long, and we talked about the good things that have been, and most importantly, of the good things to come.  

Recent: